Sunday, March 4, 2012

Software Choices


      Finding the five most important software features was not easy for me.  I thought that every choice was incredibly important and they all have their own merit.  The five that stood out the most to me, though, were standards, cost, site license, active learning, and grade level.

Throughout education, standards have to stay the main idea.  It can be hard to keep to these standards with all of the other things that teachers have to endure and deal with in a typical school day.  If all of the software in use met educational standards, teachers would have a little less pressure on them to introduce and familiarize students with educational topics.  I don’t think that the software should replace a teacher, but a touch of assistive software can be helpful. 

Cost was an obvious choice for me.  School systems have a lot of needs and not a lot of financial support, so the more that can be purchased for less is better for a school.

A site license is a great thing for companies, but in order to utilize a site effectively, a limited site license isn’t always the best thing to have.  Without a limited license, it could be possible for students to continue their learning off of campus, at their homes, for instance.

Active learning is essential for students.  I personally wouldn’t want to learn from afar.  The more interactive that software is, the more that students will take away from it, in my opinion.

Grade level is incredibly important in software.  If the material is too advanced, then students are not going to learn anything.  Material should be age-appropriate so that students can gain the most out of it.

For my mind map, I chose problem-solving, weakness targeting, and illustration software as the most important to have in a classroom.  I think that problem-solving software can be helpful in providing problem-solving skills; students need these skills to be an effective member of society.  Weakness targeting software is a hugely useful tool for helping students to overcome any difficulties they might be having in school, so that teachers know what to concentrate on.  I think that illustrations can make lesson a lot more interesting and incorporating illustrations can promote more involved learning.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the standards because you are correct they are the main idea and always will be. Againg on cost because even I said I woudln't buy items that are to expensive and won't do what I need them to do in a classroom. I disagree with the state license because I don't see it being needed, but how you put it made a lot of sense. We agree on most of the ones you have chosen and that is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We shared a lot of the same ideas. I agree the cost, standards, grade level, and interaction are very important. In one of the classrooms I observed last semester, they used the same programs for the 1st graders as they did the 5Th. It was sad seeing the younger kids struggling and the older bored. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same as you, I couldn't really narrow down all of the choices to just 5. I found that although I did narrow the selection, I felt like the ones that I didn't use were still just as important, and would be used as well. So even though we were forced to narrow down the list, I chose to not eliminate choices, but just prioritize them instead, so that although I know that certain choices didn't make the top 5, but they will be used at some point in the selection process.

    ReplyDelete