Sunday, January 29, 2012

Personal Theorectical Foundations


          I believe that each student learns differently, so I can’t just say that all students are behavior learners.  I think that the only successful way to ensure that each and every student absorbs what is being taught is to incorporate as many of learning styles as possible throughout a learning style.  I always preferred changing tactics during a lesson when I was in school.  These changes can be very subtle, if done well.

         I am not a fan of standard testing by any means.  However, it remains the only effective way of testing the majority of learners.  I would love to live in a world where each student could be tested individually and based off of a test that works best for them, but it just isn’t feasible in overcrowded, public schools.   Standard tests have their obvious flaws, but they do moderately well with assessing learning characteristics. 

          After taking a teaching inventory test, I was named as a facilitator type of educator.  This is a pretty accurate assessment, in my opinion.  When I teach, I don’t like to be the only speaking or doing the activity.  I prefer to see my students learn together and to learn through doing.  It gets awfully boring if students aren’t interacting or learning.  I am very willing to adapt my style to individual needs.  A holistic view of teaching is important for me to have so that can work flexibly.

         Throughout this class, I am learning that is a lot more important than I thought to incorporate technology into a classroom.  While completing the NETS standards assignment, I also discovered how many beneficial and educational sites are available.  I think that I need to do more research to fit technology into my students’ learning style. 

         My multiple intelligences strengths and weaknesses were: linguistics and intrapersonal skills.  My weakness was special relationships.

5 comments:

  1. Brittney,
    I agree that it is important to incorporate different learning styles and in a subtle way. Let the student learn without him/her knowing it's happening. Then, when the realization hits that they actually do know the material, the satisfaction is overwhelming. We teachers are tricky little boogers! Standard testing... I say FILE 13!!! Is it truly effective? Isn't it really only effective if the person taking it is from or can relate to the same heritage & social class as the creator? When I was in school, we took a test called the Iowa Basic Skills Test. It didn't result in anyone being held back. It simply gave parents and teachers an idea as to which subject students struggled. With those results, parents and teachers could seek help for these students in one or more subjects such as math, reading, writing, science, etc. And I like that you mentioned how boring it is when there's no interaction. When it's quiet, I sometimes wonder if it's because the students didn't do the reading, therefore doesn't know the answer. In reality, I've found that there are more students who simply feel uncomfortable raising their hands. That isn't cool!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you about testing, I think that it is not fair to show a students intelligence. There are smart students out there that get straight A's but fail when it comes to testing due to anxiety or whatever else it may be. I just don't see it being fair to students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do completely agree that as an educator, the ability to be flexible in our teaching methods are imperative. I wonder sometimes that educators at times are teaching to standardized testing, and not focusing on giving our students a solid foundation of education (just food for thought).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the same way as you, that teachers should incorporate more then one learning style while teaching.I always thought in high school that if our classes were more interactive then people would actually pay attention. I think that is why in school my favorite class was theater because we actually got up and did things opposed to just sitting in a desk and being lectured at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I also need to do more research when it comes to teaching my students and using technology. I did not realize there were so many websites for education out there either until this class and my math t 101 class. Finding resources online will help not only with the subject were teaching but our teaching style as well. Good Post!

    ReplyDelete